A little while ago I took on a pro bono project the likes of which I had been dreaming about for some time. I got in touch with one of my favorite local bands, Karmella’s Game, and found out they were interested in a new Web site.
The goal was two-fold:
- Give their web site a visual update that fell more in line with their most recent record and promotional materials, and
- Give them a website on a platform that would allow them to easily update all sections and expand functionality in the future without having to rely on a specific technology or point of contact.
Here is the site thus far. I’m still building out the audio and photos sections, but its nearly done. I’ve built the whole thing over a Word Press installation, providing:
- ease of use/updating;
- easy expansion;
- a large community of developers and plugins for future modification.
Plus, two of the band members already have Word Press blogs, so they have an immediate familiarity with the system.
This was my first Word Press project where I developed the site over the CMS from the ground up. It gave me a whole new appreciation for the system, which I had previously only used and thought of as a blogging kit. Now, with this experience under my belt, I think I’m going to start using Word Press for all of my projects. Heck, I’ll probably eventually retrofit this site with it, which will make updating my portfolio that much easier (right now only this blog is hooked into WP).